‘Time to Shine’ provides an opportunity for UCLan staff to engage with a range of local community organisations that benefit from working in partnership with the University.
UCLan’s employer supported volunteering scheme offers staff members an additional day of leave per year to engage in volunteering or community engagement work. Opportunities could be individual placements, utilising your professional experience or departmental team challenges involving practical tasks. Through the following pages you can find out more about the Staff Volunteering scheme and how you can get involved.
Time to Shine can provide community groups, organisations and charities with staff teams or individual volunteers to help with short-term projects. To find out more about the scheme and how you can work with us, contact the team on the email address or phone number given below.
Volunteering England define volunteering as “any activity which involves spending time, unpaid, doing something which aims to benefit someone (individuals or groups) other than or in addition to close relatives, or to benefit the environment”.
The University will only approve volunteer leave if the following principles are satisfied:
- The activity benefits both the community and the volunteer
- The activity is unpaid (payment of out of pocket expenses is allowed)
- The activity does not promote discrimination, hatred or extreme political/religious views
- The activity does not conflict with the staff member’s role or responsibilities
- The activity is in line with the University’s mission and values
Example activities could include:
- Supporting local community groups and charities as part of an organised programme arranged by the Centre for Volunteering and Community Leadership.
- Engagement in local or regional community events, such as the Lancashire Science Festival and Preston Health Mela
- Providing discipline-specific skills and expertise in a pro-bono capacity (e.g. providing pro bono legal services through a recognised community groups);
- Contributing to the provision of community sports, arts or cultural activities.